2001 – 2005 Audi A4
Vehicle In This Guide:
2004 Audi A4 / 1.8L engine / 97,000 miles
If you own an Audi, chances are that you will eventually have to replace the window regulator on it. If you are extra lucky you will have to replace multiple regulators. A common sign of a failing window regulator is a crunching noise when lowering and raising the window. Another sign is the window having difficulty moving and stopping midway. Finally your window may not even be able to move at all. There are a few simple tools required to remove the regulator and it shouldn’t take you more than a couple of hours if you take your time and come prepared.
T25, T30, & T45 Torx bits
Ratchet wrench with extension
Flat head screw driver
Trim Removal Kit (Optional)
Door Trim Removal
1. Begin by removing the door panel trim. IMPORTANT: Start from the side closest to the front and pry the trim out. You can use a flat head screw driver or a much safer alternative is a trim removal tool. When you get to the end, pull the whole piece sideways to the left.
2. With the trim removed there are several screws underneath. Remove them.
3. There is an additional screw that needs to be removed under the armrest and also along the bottom of the door.
4. With the screws removed you can now take out the door panel by lifting it up slightly and pulling it towards you. However, before the door panel can be removed completely, you have to disconnect the door lock cable.
5. Also undo the electrical cables at the window motor and speaker.
Removing Door Components
6. Remove the top half of the weather stripping. Just grab and pull – do not remove the bottom half.
7. Remove the window motor that is held by three bolts…
And undo the electrical cables.
8. Remove the sound deadening material. It is held on with some pretty weak glue.
9. Remove the door speaker – that is held by three T25 bolts. Because the top half of the door is coming out you will have to feed the power mirror wire back through the door (1).
10. Finally, undo two more clips that hold the power mirror wire to the door.
Separating The Door In Two
11. Time to remove the bolts that secure the two door halves together. Remove all the T45 bolts. Undo clips (2) and (3). There is also a bolt on the side of the door. Remove the cap that is by the mirror (1) – it is held together with clips.
12. Remove the cap (1) to get access to the side bolt. Unclip the rubber plug(2) – do not remove.
13. With the cap removed, take out the remaining bolt.
14. Take the top half of the door and lift it out. You should be left with the following.
15. Take the window assembly and remove the two bottom screws. After that you can remove the glass.
16. Remove the last two bolts that hold the window regulator and you will be able to remove it.
Window Regulator Installation
Putting everything back together is straightforward. When you first removed the door you may have noticed that a couple of metal tabs fell out. Those tabs go between the left and right top bolts.
1. Join two door halves.
2. Clip the power mirror wire to the door and install speaker.
3. Tighten all the bolts.
4. Install sound deadening material.
5. Install window motor.
6. Install weather stripping.
8. Install door panel & trim piece.