This is a simple guide on how to remove the front bumper on your third generation Ford Focus. Anybody can do this in their drive way with a few simple tools. You should have a torx bit set - you will need a T30 for this job. You also need needle nose pliers to remove the hood latch cable. Yes, you will also need a flat head screw driver for the push pins.
T30 Torx bit
1/4 Ratchet with extension and 10mm socket
Flat head screw driver
Removing The Headlights
1. First thing that you have to do is remove both headlights. Very simple to do - use either a T30 screwdriver or a bit and remove the two screws for the headlight and an additional T30 screw that's near the A/C line. You can see all three circled below. Do the same on the other side of the car.
With the screws removed, rotate the headlight up and out. Don't forget to disconnect the electrical plug.
2. Remove the four push pins that secure the top of the bumper. Use a screw driver or another appropriate tool to pry the centers up and then take the whole clips out.
3. You will need to disconnect the hood latch cable from the level. A pair of needle-nose pliers is all that is needed to remove that cable. Then pull up on the cable to free it from the plastic retainer (circled yellow).
Taking Out The Under-body Cover
4. Continue by removing this plastic strip on the bottom of the car. It is secured with three T30 screws.
5. Then remove the rest of T30 screws all along the bottom of the bumper.
6. In the following photo I have removed the wheel for clarity - normally you will not have to do that. Remove the three screws (yellow) and an additional push pin (green) from inside the wheel well. Do the same for both sides of the car.
Removing The Bumper
7. The ends of the bumper are secured to the fenders with a plastic bracket. The bracket has a couple of hooks that clip the bumper in place. Rather then mess with the clips and risk damaging the bumper I find it a lot safer to loosen the two bolts that secure the bracket. Peel back the wheel well liner to get at the bolts. You can then push the bracket down and free the ends of the bumper.
8. On each side of the car there is a big hook that the bumper clips into. Press down on the hook to disengage the bumper. Also, don't forget to unplug the electrical connector for the fog lights (arrow pointing down).
Here is a better shot of the electrical connector. Press the center tab and pull the connector out.
9. The bumper can now be removed. Make sure that the ends of the bumper are free and pull the whole thing out with both hands.