Do you have to do a rear bumper replacement on your Mustang and want to know how to remove it? You have come to the right place. This guide will show you the correct way to take out the rear bumper cover. The steps in this guide apply specifically to the 2013 - 2014 Ford Mustangs but most of them can be applied to the whole face-lifted fifth generation (2010 - 2014).
Rear Bumper Removal
1. The tail lights will have to come out and you will also have to feed a wiring harness through the rear end as you remove the bumper cover. As a result, you need to take out the black plastic trim that is in the trunk. Twist off the retainer that is circled in yellow. Then remove the push pin that is circled in green. Best way to remove that push pin is to use a pair of needle nose pliers or a trim removal tool. Do the same for the other side of the car. Then give the plastic a quick and firm pull and take it out. Finally remove the three nuts (cyan) that secure the tail light. One of the nuts is hidden under the plastic trim piece.
2.Pull out the tail light and disconnect the electrical plug.
3. The rear bumper has a wiring harness running all along on the inside of it. During the removal you will need to feed the wiring harness through the metal. To prepare for that go ahead and disconnect the electrical plug (yellow) on the harness and unclip the retainer from the body (green).
4. Locate and remove three screws in the wheel well area. Do the same for the other side of the car.
5. At the ends of the bumper, on the bottom side, there will be two retainers. Remove them by first pulling the center out and then removing the whole retainer. Do the same for the other side.
6. On each side of the bumper there will be another plastic retainer on the inside of the bumper. Again, pull up on the center and take out the whole retainer.
7. There are two more clips that secure the bumper. These are a little tricky and they break easily if you apply too much force. The best tool to use is a trim removal tool that you can see in the photo below.
8. The bumper is now ready to be removed. Grab the sides and pull out to disengage the clips.
You will also have to press in the tab that is in the tail light area (yellow) to disengage that portion of the bumper from the bracket.
9. Grab the rear of the bumper with both hands and give it a quick and firm pull towards you. Why? Because the center of the bumper is secured with some more clips.
10. As you remove the bumper remember to feed the wiring harness (yellow) through the body and take it out with the bumper.